Monday, July 26, 2010

Eyes wide shut

The colored lights, when I close my eyes, never stop dancing. There are blobs - shapeless now, and in a fraction of a second become something from a past memory. They change color - comforting and warm and then harsh and painful - fed by thoughts that run through. I hurtle at breakneck speed on an endless track, tethered to a dangerously rattling roller coaster car - alone with the belt cutting across my body. There are faces on the sides of the tunnel - grinning, mocking, angry, sad and longing. Not all of them are what they are. The worst are the ones that are longing - fragments of a memory or desire long gone.

I open my eyes to collect my thoughts and I realize that it was never - ever. I am just another one of those leather bound books with golden engravings on the rib and yellowed pages that talk of things that were never interesting. Those books that stay up high on the bookshelf - a constant reiteration of the image of intellectuality that an illiterate millionaire wishes to project. Removed for no reason other that the occasional dusting by the maid. A nameless book by a faceless author about things that do not matter.

Goodbye, cruel world!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er... this may be none of my business, anonymous as i am... but are you alright? need to talk or something?

Safari Al said...

Well, thank you for dropping a comment. But, may I point out that even if I needed to talk, with you being anonymous, there really isn't a way, is there?

Nanga Fakir said...

Nice!

More frequent updates will be even nicer.

Safari Al said...

Out of curiosity, anon, who are you?

andy: you are alive?

Nanga Fakir said...

Totally!