Sunday, August 26, 2007

Monday Blues

I installed the ScribeFire plugin for Firefox. It is pretty neat now, and has lots of bells and whistles. It's pretty much the only way to post now from office considering that SysAdmin does not allowing posting blogs or commenting on them. I can view blogs though.

The only hangup is that this is happening on Windows, which I rarely use. The Firefox on my Linux is a clunky old one. I am using RHL 7.3 fer crissakes. Simply because of compatibility issues. I have also discovered that rpms are not very nice if you are using KPackage. Hopelessly complicated and vexing. The damn thing cannot download dependencies itself and install. And this problem is recursive. I sorely miss my Kubuntu at home. Apt-get is such a breeze despite all it's clunkiness.

If you know of a better way to manage and install packages in RHL 7.3 please let me know.


P.S: Is there any way of changing the font renderer that older versions of Firefox use? The one on my Linux has the shittiest font-renderer. I can't read half the stuff that is on the screen.


Powered by ScribeFire.

7 comments:

theG said...

why oh why are you using rh 7?? Its an ancient version! what compat problems?

Safari Al said...

The kernel that runs on the nodes is a stripped own 2.4kernel that they made long time ago when 7.3 was still fashionable. all the build-scripts and a lot of other stuff screws up when you run it on anything else.


so hence. what i am running is not technically a 7.3RHL distro, it is 7.3 distro that has been customized and optimized.

no one has the enthu to do that all over to another better distro.
:(

Unknown said...

If its your personal computer, use any distribution you want. You can always download a compatible 2.4 kernel from kernel.org and compile it and install it and configure GrUB to boot that kernel instead of the default one. You will have to give up some functionality though, like plug and play on various USB devices.

As for as font rendering, download the latest pango package. But be warned of dependency hell, especially on such an old distribution. I recommend you just put up with it. It's lesser pain that way.

Safari Al said...

I wish i could do that. I considered putting my good old kubuntu there at office but the hick is that i dont know what shit it will cause.

And in any case to see fancier graphics, rebooting to a different kernel each time is a pain.

I fucking can't get abi-word to open .doc properly. I tried installing open office and gave up after two days of trying to resolve dependencies. Getting acrobat 5 working took me one whole day.

Bloody, kernel on the node...!

Curses!

Safari Al said...

@Ra: Dude, you have to try Old Monk gold reserve. Super shit it is...smooth like a baby's bum. 300 for a khamba but worth every rupee.

Nanga Fakir said...

Good ol' Old Monk and Baba Cola...man do I miss 'em!

Indus Creep said...

do this...install a jang distro, and then put vmware on it, then run RHEL using vmware player. much much better. nice sandbox of sorts.

i had dependency hell trying to get a TinyOS environment on my jang suSE 10.2