Monday, January 30, 2012

Wandering around Paris alone has its ups and downs. The upside is being unfettered by the collective opinion of person(s) other than yourself on what to see and what to do - walk around, stop and stare at a small church tucked away in a corner or sitting down in a cafe staring at stunningly beautiful Parisian women. The downside is that eventually when your feet tire, your neck is sore from looking up at the stained glass and all the women have left you are left with nothing but your own thoughts. I have a slight problem with thoughts. Invariably, I always have some thoughts that keep running in loops - infinite loops. And, we all know that Linux is awesome - it can do infinite loops in five minutes. Sadly enough, my brain does not run on Linux - not yet.

One of those thoughts is this insane human desire to posses something - tangible objects or experiences. The harder it is to get them, the more is the drive to have them. Exactly what Twain was getting at when Tom Sawyer starts whitewashing the fence. What just makes this whole thing worse is when someone you know well has object X or experience Y chooses to constantly rub the lack of X or Y in your face. In ways that are sometime obvious and in ways that are sometime disguised. Their sense of disguised being standing in front of an A380 with a broken wing and holding their arm out hoping it will draw away attention. Bah!

In my particular train of thought I realized that in most cases the "rubbing it in your face" is done on purpose. For lack of anything better to do. So much so that X and Y could be things that normally you would preen off to others, but people will try to wrap all that under psychological hogwash filtered and cast into positivity using third-hand misinterpreted Freudian theories. The kind people who say "Fre-yood".

I have this deep desire to stand such people in my life in a line and rail them. Or worse - use the gauntlet. Die, fuckers, die!

11 comments:

Shreyas Kulkarni said...

Nice. But what is that you yearn to have actually?

Safari Al said...

Shitloads of money. And more shitloads of money. And a few Hercules C-5 loads of money as well. All in high denomination Indian rupees. And an equivalent in USD.

Shreyas Kulkarni said...

Okay. We see the regular guy then.

Anonymous said...

If the 'small church...' is real, you should post a picture? The description leaves me wanting to see one. :)

Nithya said...

Im tempted to say the classic, "mere paas ma hai" :)

Safari Al said...

@atwice: I have to trawl and see if I actually bothered to take a picture. At one point of time, I was just aimlessly wandering. I walked around paris an entire day without a clue of where I was.

@Nithya: Can you repeat the question please? But, seriously, why? Context please? :) In case, you think that living in Europe is cool, trust me, it isnt. God promise.

Nithya said...

Well, it was about object X having Y and well, I just about said, I may not have Y, but I have maa.

And heck, I live in Europe.

Safari Al said...

Oh, well, I would have asked for "Making living in Europe fun - 101" but it's kinda too late. I am heading back to my idli-vada and masala dosa in 5 weeks yeah!

Nithya said...

Did you HAVE to mention vada?

Safari Al said...

Oooooh...

SafariAl - 1 Nithya - 1

I am guessing if you can get donuts and then put lots of salt on it and dunk it in sambar, maybe you could pretend it is vada.

Or you could find a Indian place and pay some obscene amount of money to get vada. :)

Safari Al said...

In my defense - they speak English in London. In Pisa, sometimes I can speak better Italian than they can speak English.

And I can hardly get a conversation beyond "Per favore, parla piu lentamente."